The Broomhill branch of the Keighley Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd. officially opened on Co-operators’ Day, 7th July 1928. It was built to service the Broomhill estate, Keighley’s first council housing estate, which was begun in 1920. The store contained grocery, butchery, fruit and confectionery departments.
It was the Co-Op Society’s largest store apart from its headquarters on Brunswick Street. The store was designed by the CWS Architectural Department. The store was issued with the branch number 20. This replaced the original branch number 20 which was Oakworth Hall, which had closed and so the number was available to be reassigned. The store is located on Broomhill Avenue and is still open as a Co-Op store today.
The original photographs were taken around the time of opening and are part of the Keighley and District Local History Society digital archive. The colour photograph was taken by Tim Neal in 2018.