A small album of photographs taken by Lilywhite Ltd. has been added to the History Society’s Flickr page. There is no date on the book but we estimate the photographs were taken in the 1950s.
In the run-up to Remembrance Sunday next weekend, we have published a series of photographs of the War Memorial in Town Hall Square from the last 90 years. 100 years ago the First World War ended, and a new world began. The example and experience of those who lived through it shaped the world we live in today. The History Society would like to add its voice in saying Thank You to all who served, sacrificed and changed our world. There will be a Remembrance Service in Keighley on Sunday 11th November, including a wreath laying ceremony at the Cenotaph at 11 a.m. followed by two minutes silence. (All the images in this gallery are taken from our archives and are published on our Flickr pages here.)
Corporal Samuel A. Gott was killed in action in 1917 during the First World War, at the age of just 24. He was born in Cross Roads, near Keighley, and was an accomplished craftsman and joiner. His model of a Mansard roof truss won him first prize from the Worshipful Company of Carpenters in 1914. His model is preserved in the Science Museum Group collection. Records relating to Samuel and photographs of his model have been loaded on the History Society’s Flickr page. Our thanks to Andy Wade and the Men of Worth Project for instigating and researching this project.
Bridgehouse Mill in Haworth. The black and white image (provided courtesy of Airedale Springs Ltd.) is from around 1970, when the building was occupied by Airedale Springs Ltd., Yorkshire Biscuits Ltd. and Wyedean Weavers Ltd. Part of the mill was demolished and rebuilt (with added tower) in 2017/18 as part of a major redevelopment of the area behind. The mill is still occupied by Wyedean in 2018.
The first meeting of the Keighley Co-operative Society was held on this day (9th October) in 1860 at the Turkish Bath Rooms. The meeting was chaired by John Farrar Pickles who was a tea dealer on Low Bridge. Illustration from ‘Half a Century of Co-operation in Keighley – 1860-1910’ by Jos. Rhodes (Fellow of the Institute of Journalists and of the British Esperanto Association), published in 1911.
Keighley Library officially re-opened on the 17th August 2007, following a £1.1 million refurbishment carried out between February and August that year. Keighley Library is a Grade 2 listed building and was the first public library in England to be funded by Andrew Carnegie. It includes beautiful murals on the walls painted by Alex F. Smith. The Local Studies Library on the first floor is an amazing resource to be cherished by the town.
This postcard from the History Society’s archive is of Devonshire Park in Keighley. It was posted to France on this day (10th August) 110 years ago.
Happy birthday to the Bronte Parsonage and Museum which first opened its doors on the 4th of August 1928. The house was built in the 1770s as a place of residence for the minister at the adjacent St Michael and All Angels church. It was occupied by the Bronte family from 1820 to 1861. The building was gifted to the Bronte Society by Sir James Roberts in 1928 and the Society moved its museum from the upstairs of what is now the tourist information centre at the top of Main Street in Haworth. This is how the event was recorded exactly one week later in the Keighley News. The cutting is from a scrapbook of clippings collected by journalist, photographer and editor George Crowther, many of which are available on the History Society’s Flickr account.
The 30th of July this year marks 200 years since the birth of Emily Bronte. To mark the occasion, various special events are happening this weekend at the Bronte Parsonage in Haworth. This First Day Cover from July 1980 was issued from Haworth Post Office and includes stamps for Emily and her sister Charlotte. All four stamps were designed by artist Barbara Brown. The object is held in the History Society’s physical archive and has been scanned for our digital archive on Flickr.