Look & See – Q4

The empty sites on the North side of the Square have, historically, been the pride of Keighley’s Educational aspirations. The corner site formerly housed the Mechanics Institute, which was avidly used for higher self-education. As the Free-Grammar School outgrew it’s original site an extension was added to the Mechanics so the pupils could benefit from the same facilities and it later incorporated a dedicated Art School. The original building was extensively damaged in a fire in 1963. Of necessity the school had to find new premises and when the rebuild was complete it became part of the original Keighley College, which had just been built next door. The 1960s buildings had been vacant for over 10 years, after the College moved to campus next door to train station, and were demolished. The sites are now vacant (2024). This part of Cavendish Street is the newest, laid out in the 1860’s and was the widest, to take the grand carriages of the Industrialists.