Look & See – Q22

Methodism came to Keighley in 1742 with John Wesley first speaking here in 1746 and complaining about the height and state of the bridge at the bottom of Park Lane which from his description was still one step on from the original Packhorse bridge. However undaunted he did come back, as the congregation grew and the first Chapel was built on Temple Row in 1754. It had to be enlarged in 1777 but this was to small by 1811, when Eden Chapel was built next door, so it became the Sunday School beginning to teach basic reading and writing to its children. The Eden Chapel became to small and became the School when the current building was put up in 1836. Methodist worship continued here until it became a Mosque in the 1970s.