Look & See – Q20

  • High Street and the area behind it contains Keighley’s oldest surviving buildings. On Rectory Row we find the Quaker entry for carriages through to their second Chapel, where they moved in 1797 from their original chapel on Mill Hill, that had been built in 1690. The original Manor House was is supposed to have been located in this Area and the rear of one of the properties used to contain a Mediaeval style window. The evidence here shows many were agricultural buildings, with a remaining date stone showing 1660. In fact at one time there were a number of date stones around the older part of town showing similar dates.