The History Society’s mission is “to preserve and share”, and each year the Society aims to keep alive, and raise awareness of, the history of Keighley and the surrounding area. It does this by:
- safeguarding an ever-growing physical collection of items such as books and pictures
- maintaining an online archive with thousands of images of the town and its citizens that anyone can look at
- arranging guest speakers and events every month where people can hear about the history of the town
- publishing a quarterly newsletter that promotes the work of the Society
- working in partnership with local schools, the Council and other bodies on projects that relate to the history of the town and the local area
- sharing good practice and resources with other organisations interested in preserving and promoting our local history
promoting the work of the Society through social media, through articles in the local press and through attendance at events such as the Keighley Show
You can support the History Society in several ways:
- Become a member. It costs £10 a year for an individual or £15 a year for a couple. Your money helps us deliver on all of the above activities as well as discounted entry to our guest speaker meetings. The easiest way to join is to come along a little bit early to one of our monthly guest speaker talks. Alternatively we have an online payment method (which costs a little bit more because of administration costs that we have to pay) – click here for that.
- Donate or lend items to our collections that we can preserve or copy. These can be photographs you have taken, booklets or leaflets on businesses or events in the area, articles you have written or research you have carried out yourself, objects made in Keighley… the list goes on!
- Help us identify and catalogue items and pictures in our collection. The best way to do this is to join Flickr.com and then visit our digital archive and add notes to the images. But also keep an eye out for the special archiving sessions that happen every few months where we go through our physical archive.
- Help us find speakers we can approach for the monthly guest speaker sessions. Perhaps it is someone you have seen speak at another event – or maybe you have your own collections or knowledge that you would be willing to talk ab out.
- Alert us, or take photographs for us, of the town and the surrounds as they change. We know time never stands still and the history of Keighley and the area keeps moving on, but it is important to keep records of that change.
- Promote the work of the History Society to other people you know and help us get more people enthused about the history of this great town.