Chances are, many people reading this will have been to the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford. But does anyone remember the Coliseum? Or the Empire? Or the Palace? Next Wednesday’s guest speaker talk is by Tish Lawson and is about the history of the theatres in Bradford.
The History Society organises a guest speaker talk every second Wednesday of the month. Anyone is welcome to attend. The talks are held upstairs in Keighley Library. Doors open at 7pm and the talk starts at 7.30pm and usually last around one hour. Tea and coffee are served. It costs £3 on the door (£1 if you are a History Society member). Please come along.
These are some of the artefacts from the archive that we will be bringing along to our stall at Keighley Show this Saturday (1st September). Gates open at 9am and the Show runs until 5pm. Car parking is free and Keighley Bus Museum will be running free vintage bus rides to the grounds. Look out for the History Society’s big orange marquee, alongside the Men of Worth Project. To find out more about Keighley show click HERE.
A wonderful example of a recruitment leaflet produced by Hattersley Sons & Co. Ltd. of Haworth has just been uploaded to our Flickr archive. Click on the image to see more. The item was donated by History Society member Mollie Binns.
Keighley Library officially re-opened on the 17th August 2007, following a £1.1 million refurbishment carried out between February and August that year. Keighley Library is a Grade 2 listed building and was the first public library in England to be funded by Andrew Carnegie. It includes beautiful murals on the walls painted by Alex F. Smith. The Local Studies Library on the first floor is an amazing resource to be cherished by the town.
Happy birthday to the Bronte Parsonage and Museum which first opened its doors on the 4th of August 1928. The house was built in the 1770s as a place of residence for the minister at the adjacent St Michael and All Angels church. It was occupied by the Bronte family from 1820 to 1861. The building was gifted to the Bronte Society by Sir James Roberts in 1928 and the Society moved its museum from the upstairs of what is now the tourist information centre at the top of Main Street in Haworth. This is how the event was recorded exactly one week later in the Keighley News. The cutting is from a scrapbook of clippings collected by journalist, photographer and editor George Crowther, many of which are available on the History Society’s Flickr account.
The 30th of July this year marks 200 years since the birth of Emily Bronte. To mark the occasion, various special events are happening this weekend at the Bronte Parsonage in Haworth. This First Day Cover from July 1980 was issued from Haworth Post Office and includes stamps for Emily and her sister Charlotte. All four stamps were designed by artist Barbara Brown. The object is held in the History Society’s physical archive and has been scanned for our digital archive on Flickr.
Lund Park was officially opened on 21st July 1891. The land for the park was given to Keighley Corporation in 1888 by landowner James Lund of Malsis Hall. The park was laid out and planted by Keighley Corporation and was opened to the public by Mrs Lund three years later. The park originally included a bandstand, and a fountain sited in a small lake. The park was extensively refurbished in the late 20th century, including the provision of new play equipment, the resurfacing of all paths, and a new skateboard facility.
One of the albums in our Flickr digital archive is a copy of the musical score for the “Cliffe Castle Gavotte” (a dance piece), composed for piano by German composer Franz Behr. It was commissioned by and dedicated to Henry Isaac Butterfield (the owner of Cliffe Castle at the time). It is presumed to have been written between 1885 and 1886. Keighley local history enthusiast Loraine Petyt asked local musician David Boddy to record the piece and she has made the recording available on her Vale’n’Dale website – have a listen here!