Happy birthday to the Bronte Parsonage and Museum which first opened its doors on the 4th of August 1928. The house was built in the 1770s as a place of residence for the minister at the adjacent St Michael and All Angels church. It was occupied by the Bronte family from 1820 to 1861. The building was gifted to the Bronte Society by Sir James Roberts in 1928 and the Society moved its museum from the upstairs of what is now the tourist information centre at the top of Main Street in Haworth. This is how the event was recorded exactly one week later in the Keighley News. The cutting is from a scrapbook of clippings collected by journalist, photographer and editor George Crowther, many of which are available on the History Society’s Flickr account.
One of the albums in our Flickr digital archive is a copy of the musical score for the “Cliffe Castle Gavotte” (a dance piece), composed for piano by German composer Franz Behr. It was commissioned by and dedicated to Henry Isaac Butterfield (the owner of Cliffe Castle at the time). It is presumed to have been written between 1885 and 1886. Keighley local history enthusiast Loraine Petyt asked local musician David Boddy to record the piece and she has made the recording available on her Vale’n’Dale website – have a listen here!
Happy anniversary to the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway – 50 years old today!
The Tour de Yorkshire cycle race passes through Oxenhope, Haworth, Oakworth, Goose Eye, Sutton and other areas of Keighley today. We wish all the riders well and hope for no accidents like the one on this postcard sent from Silsden to Oakworth in 1904.
This weekend, the Marks & Spencer store in Keighley closes its doors for the last time. The company has decided that the 21 April 2018 will be the last day of trading in this branch. The shop moved to its current location on Low Street in the 1930s and was built on the site of the old Fleece Inn. The shop survived the redevelopment of the town centre in the 1960s, the shortening of Low Street when Worth Way was built, and the development of the covered Airedale Shopping Centre in the 1980s. These photographs show the store at various points in its history and have all been taken from the History Society’s digital archive on Flickr.
The Keighley Station Partnership (KSP) was formed from an initiative by train operator Northern to involve local volunteers and businesses as a ‘Friends’ group to improve the station. The partnership includes the Aire Valley Rail Users Group, Bronte Country Partnership, Dementia Friendly Keighley, Keighley BID, the Keighley Bus Company, Keighley Town Council, Keighley & Worth Valley Railway and the Men of Worth Project.