All posts by Admin Tim

Tim is a committee member of the Keighley and District Local History Society, with responsibilities for archiving the physical and digital collections, and managing some of the social media channels. He moved to Keighley about ten years ago and joined the Society to learn more about the area.

Keighley Library Update

Because of coronavirus, Keighley’s Public Library is still closed to visitors, but from Wednesday 8th July they will be operating a new Order & Collect service. See the Bradford Council website for more details.

Keighley Local Studies Library (upstairs in the Library) also remains closed to visitors, but it will be offering an email and telephone enquiry service from Monday 6th July. Email keighleylocalstudies@bradford.gov.uk or telephone 01535 618 215.

Keighley Public Library, viewed from the top of Cavendish Street. Postcard published by Millar & Lang Art Ltd. circa 1940, from the personal collection of Tim Neal.

On this day…

The Keighley and Worth Valley railway line reopened as a passenger-carrying line on the 29th June 1968. The Mayor of Keighley, Alderman James Henry (‘Harry’) Waterworth cut the ribbon at a ceremony to mark the occasion. Bob Cryer, chairman of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway Preservation Society (and later MP for Keighley) and the Mayoress, Mrs Harriet Anne Waterworth, were also in attendance. The line had originally been built between 1864 and 1866, financed by local mill owners, and opened in 1867. By the 1960s the line was managed by British Railways and the decision was made to close the line to passengers in December 1961 and to close the line fully in June 1962. A preservation society was formed and after many years of struggle the line was reopened and remains open to this day.

The Mayor of Keighley, Alderman James Henry (‘Harry’) Waterworth cuts the ribbon at a ceremony marking the reopening of the Keighley and Worth Valley railway line between Keighley and Oxenhope, on the 29th June 1968. He is observed by Bob Cryer (1934-1994), chairman of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway Preservation Society and later MP for Keighley (far left) and the Mayoress, Mrs Harriet Anne Waterworth (immediately behind the Mayor). The photograph was donated to the History Society by Daniel Waterworth (grandson of Harry Waterworth) in May 2020.
The Mayor and Mayoress of Keighley, Alderman James Henry (‘Harry’) Waterworth and his wife Harriet Anne Waterworth, attend the ceremony marking the reopening of the Keighley and Worth Valley railway line between Keighley and Oxenhope, on the 29th June 1968. Stood immediately behind the Mayor is Bob Cryer (1934-1994), chairman of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway Preservation Society and later MP for Keighley. The photograph was donated to the History Society by Daniel Waterworth (grandson of Harry Waterworth) in May 2020.

On this day…

Devonshire Street Congregational Church opened for worship on 25th June 1856. It had capacity for over 1,000 worshippers and cost just short of £4,000 to build. It was frequented by some of the most influential families in Keighley. Apparently coachmen would sit on the back row of the church in order to slip out during the last hymn and bring the carriages around to the front door. In May 1948, an architect reported an outward bulge in the north wall caused by a fracture in an arch. Extensive repair work was undertaken and the church reopened in 1949. Dry-rot then set in, in the roof beams and the wooden friezes. Despite celebrating its centenary in 1956, the building was subsequently declared unsafe and was demolished in 1964. The site is now occupied by the New Devonshire House office building. This Reliable Series postcard from around 1905 and the photograph taken in 2018 are courtesy of Tim Neal.

Devonshire Street Congregational Church. A Reliable Series postcard from the start of the 20th century. From Tim Neal’s collection.
New Devonshire House office buildings on the site of the old church. Photographed in 2018 by Tim Neal.

On this day…

Alderman John Edward Brownbridge and his wife, Councillor Alice Gertrude Brownbridge, became Mayor and Mayoress of Keighley on 20th May 1969. A scrapbook commemorating their year, loaned to the History Society for scanning in July 2019 by David Seeley, can be seen in our digital archive on Flickr.

KHS_P_397_ (14)
Newspaper cuttings, photographs and other ephemera collected by Alderman Brownbridge and his wife during their year as Mayor and Mayoress of Keighley from May 1969 to May 1970. The items were collated in a scrapbook that was loaned to the History Society for scanning by David Seeley and the grandaughter of the Brownbridges in July 2019.

V. E. Day

The 8th of May 2020 marks the 75th anniversary of VE (Victory in Europe) Day, when the Germans signed an unconditional surrender that brought to an end six years of war across Europe. World War II finally came to an end a few months later when the Japanese surrendered in August 1945.

Sunday 13th May 1945 saw many services of thanksgiving at the churches around the town. Some street parties and pageants followed soon after VE Day, although many were held back to after VJ Day.

Photograph taken of children with bonfire in Worth Village on V.E. Day, 8th May 1945. Featured in the photograph are brothers Geoffrey Dobson (second from left) and Brian Dobson (third from right). The photograph was donated by History Society member Brian Dobson in 2017 and was scanned on behalf of the Society in June 2017. The actual photograph is retained in the physical archive.

People had already sensed that victory was on the horizon. As early as March 1945, Keighley and Craven Holiday Fellowship was putting plans in place for a victory dance, and in April Prince-Smith & Stells Ltd. committed to pay a bonus to every employee in the firm when victory was announced. Evacuees who had come to the town were already returning home. The munition works at Steeton Dump closed a week before VE Day as there was no need for the munitions any more.

Photograph of workers at the Royal Ordnance Factory at Steeton, taken in 1945. The Royal Ordnance Factory started producing munition components, including shells and cases, for use in the Second World War, in 1941. At its peak it employed more than 4,000 people, two-thirds of whom were women. Its workforce was brought in by special trains and buses from 62 towns and villages in Yorkshire and Lancashire. The factory was commonly known as The Dump. It also housed a 1,000-seater canteen which hosted an ENSA (Entertainments National Service Association) concert every fortnight. The photograph was donated by Jackie McGinnis. Additional information from the Keighley News.

Keighley had played its part during the war: many Regular Army units were stationed in and around the town at various times; empty mills were used to store tons of food and medical stores on behalf of the whole country; the town handled over 10,000 evacuees; the Keighley and District Spitfire and Hurricane Fund raised £10,000; men served in the Home Guard; women workers at Prince-Smith and Stells Ltd. produced bayonets for use on rifles; over a million pounds was raised during War Weapons Week; the National Switch Factory manufactured parts for radios used by the Resistance in Europe; and so on.

The names of 296 men of the borough who gave their lives during the Second World War are engraved on a brass plaque in Keighley Library.

Victory Party, 25th August 1945. Moss Street. Photograph taken by local photographer George A. Shore. Visit no 50 of his photos of end of War celebrations in Keighley. Shore simultaneously ran his photography business alongside a carpet and linoleum store in Keighley market.

Captain tom’s family business in keighley

William Normington Hird was the great grandfather of Captain Tom Moore (now honorary Colonel). Hird, with his son John Crossley Hird, ran a Hairdressing & Shaving Saloon at 67 Church Street in Keighley in the 1890s. The business was also described as a Newsagents & Tobacconist. John Crossley Hird’s daughter was Isabella who married Wilson Moore at Lane Ends Primitive Methodist Chapel during April 1916. Wilson and Isabella Moore were the parents of Captain Tom Moore. (Research provided by Eddie Kelly.)

Captain Tom Moore, PA Media photograph.
Photograph from the Keighley News of 1st January 1955. Shows the Hairdressing & Shaving Saloon of William Normington Hird (far right) & his son John Crossley Hird (far left) photographed outside their shop at 67 Church Street Keighley taken about 1892. The two members of staff in the middle of the group are Ernest Waterhouse (assistant) & Fred Burrows (apprentice). Image provided by Eddie Kelly.
Advert for W. N. Hird Hairdresser, Bookseller, Newsagent and General Dealer. From the History Society archive.

ON THIS DAY…

Keighley Victoria Hospital opened to patients on the 23rd April 1904. The Keighley and District Victoria Hospital on Highfield Lane, Keighley, was originally the Keighley Cottage Hospital (1876 to 1894) then Keighley Hospital (1894 to 1904), before becoming the Victoria Hospital in 1904. The hospital closed in July 1970, following the opening of the Airedale Hospital. Images from the History Society digital archive.

1906 postcard of Victoria Hospital, from the personal collection of Tim Neal.
Female ward, Victoria Hospital, Keighley, circa 1910. Postcard from unknown publisher.
Keighley Victoria Hospital nursing staff appeal for funds from the back of a float. Exact date unknown. Photograph donated by Joyce Newton.

EMU Wools Ltd.

Anyone ever knit with Emu wool? Emu Wools Ltd was a knitting yarn manufacturer founded and based in Keighley that was particularly successful in the 1940s to 1960s. The spinning company was founded by the Greenwood family as far back as the 1850s and stayed in the family’s hands until the 1970s. Images from the History Society digital archive on Flickr.

Adverts for Emu Wools Ltd. from the 1960s. Part of the History Society’s digital archive.