Acclaimed Keighley-born violinist John Tiplady Carrodus died on 13th July 1895. He was born in Braithwaite on 20th January 1836. He was initially taught the violin by his father and in January 1845 made his first public appearance at Keighley Mechanics’ Institute. He was then tutored by German violinist and composer Bernhard Molique who Carrodus followed to Germany.
According to the Keighley News of 10th September 1932: “In 1853 he was engaged in the orchestra of the Royal Italian Opera at Covent Garden, and was subsequently leading violinist at His Majesty’s Theatre. The introducer of the public violin recital, Mr Carrodus was heard at many of the leading concerts, and for some years he was the principal professor of the violin at Trinity College, London, and president of the College of Violinists. He had often obeyed Royal commands to perform.”
According to biographer Nicholas Sackman: “Throughout his professional life Carrodus suffered acutely from a highly-strung nervous temperament, and his ever-increasing responsibilities for teaching and performing created great anxiety, deep depression, and a level of insomnia which meant that, on occasions, he did not sleep for a week at a time.”
He was made the first Freeman of the Borough of Keighley on 28th December 1894 and the actual presentation was made on 5th February 1895 when he revisited the town. Just a few months later he died in London and is buried in Highgate Cemetery. A memorial plaque is hung at the top of the stairs in Keighley Library.