This postcard of The Cross and Low Street was posted to Bridlington on 28th May 1952. The area is known as The Cross because it was the location of the original Market Cross for the town. The top of the original cross is now in the Cliffe Castle Museum while a copy was relocated outside the Parish Church just along Church Street.
The photograph was taken around 1950 and is looking from High Street to Low Street. The main building on the centre right is at the corner of Church Street and is the old Midland Bank building, demolished in 1977 along with one side of Church Street (now a grassed pedestrian area). Chadwick’s Stores are on the left (“Uncle Chadwick always serves you well”). The Tetley’s pub on the right is The Devonshire Arms, which opened in the 19th century, became The Grinning Rat in the 1990s and then the K2 night club.
The postcard was published by Valentine & Sons Ltd. The modern photograph of The Cross was taken by Tim Neal in July 2021.