Programme cover and cast list for a Keighley Little Theatre production of ‘Dr Angelus’ by James Bridie. The production was staged from 16th to 20th January 1951. It starred and was produced by Eric B. Broster. At this point the President of the Theatre Group was Keighley Mayor, Alderman Ernest Hutchinson.
Keighley Little Theatre was formed in June 1947 when Frederic W. Pye got together with seven like-minded people in a house in Oakworth and discussed the viability of forming a small amateur company to stage plays. In the early months of 1949, the Theatre Group was offered the lease on Devonshire Hall, originally part of the Liberal Club on Scott Street, which had been erected at the very end of the nineteenth century. Devonshire Hall had been used for lectures, functions, dances and so on. A stage and proscenium had to be built with an appropriate new lighting rig.
1951 was a busy year for the Theatre Group. It marked the Festival of Britain, and alongside producing six plays in Devonshire Hall, they also put on two plays as part of the Bronte Festival, performed in Haworth Church School.
The original programme was donated to the History Society by Tim Neal in September 2020. It is held in the History Society’s physical archive. More programmes can be found on the History Society’s Flickr site.