The Keighley Station Partnership (KSP) was formed from an initiative by train operator Northern to involve local volunteers and businesses as a ‘Friends’ group to improve the station. The partnership includes the Aire Valley Rail Users Group, Bronte Country Partnership, Dementia Friendly Keighley, Keighley BID, the Keighley Bus Company, Keighley Town Council, Keighley & Worth Valley Railway and the Men of Worth Project.
Two new posters produced by the Keighley Station Partnership have been hung in the waiting rooms on platforms 1 and 2 at the railway station this week. The posters give details on the history of the railways at Keighley. The posters are aimed at both residents and visitors to the town.
The new history posters, created by KSP Team Leader Graham Mitchell, describe the arrival of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway in 1847 and its impact upon the town, with the creation of three separate station buildings, and after the 1884 arrival of the Great Northern Railway, the development of enormous railway yards in Cavendish Street and East Parade for the handling of the wide variety of engineering and textile products of Victorian Keighley. Keighley BID paid for the design work and printing of the posters. The text on the posters is taken from the presentation which Graham made to the History Society last year.
A further series of posters giving information on town centre retailing and the local bus network have already been provided by Keighley BID and the Keighley Bus Company in new cases on the exit ramps leading up from the platforms. These are intended to target visitors arriving in Keighley.