This photograph of the Silsden Ambulance Parade was published in the Craven Herald and Pioneer on the 29th of April 1938 – exactly 80 years ago! It shows members of the Silsden, Keighley, Skipton, Bingley, and Cullingworth and Wilsden Ambulance and Nursing Divisions of the St John’s Ambulance Brigade, who attended a church parade at Silsden. The newspaper cutting is part of the Keighley and District Local History Society digital archive on Flickr and was donated by Jackie McGinnis.
This weekend, the Marks & Spencer store in Keighley closes its doors for the last time. The company has decided that the 21 April 2018 will be the last day of trading in this branch. The shop moved to its current location on Low Street in the 1930s and was built on the site of the old Fleece Inn. The shop survived the redevelopment of the town centre in the 1960s, the shortening of Low Street when Worth Way was built, and the development of the covered Airedale Shopping Centre in the 1980s. These photographs show the store at various points in its history and have all been taken from the History Society’s digital archive on Flickr.
The Keighley Station Partnership (KSP) was formed from an initiative by train operator Northern to involve local volunteers and businesses as a ‘Friends’ group to improve the station. The partnership includes the Aire Valley Rail Users Group, Bronte Country Partnership, Dementia Friendly Keighley, Keighley BID, the Keighley Bus Company, Keighley Town Council, Keighley & Worth Valley Railway and the Men of Worth Project.
A reminder that the History Society’s guest speaker talk in April is about East Riddlesden Hall. The talk will be held upstairs at Keighley Library on Wednesday 11th April. Doors open at 7pm (use the side door on Albert Street) and the talk starts at 7.30pm. There is an admission charge of £3 (£1 for History Society members), which includes a cup of tea/coffee and a biscuit.